Watch Out, Pups! A guide to foods that are toxic to dogs.

Hey there, dog lovers! If you're anything like me, you probably love sharing tasty treats with your furry friend. But did you know that some foods can be dangerous for our canine companions? It's important to be aware of which foods are safe and which ones are a no-go, so let's dive and see what foods are toxic to dogs.

Chocolate: Sorry, pups, but chocolate is a big no-no. It contains a stimulant called theobromine that can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, and even seizures in dogs. Keep your chocolate stash away from those wagging tails!

Chocolate bars

Grapes and Raisins: Grapes and raisins may seem like harmless fruits, but they can cause kidney failure in dogs. Even a small amount can be dangerous, so it's best to avoid them altogether. 

Bowl of grapesPlate of raisins

Onions and Garlic: These flavourful veggies can cause anaemia in dogs. They contain compounds that can damage their red blood cells, so it's best to leave them out of your pup's diet.

Onions and garlic

Avocados: While avocados are a healthy snack for humans, they can be dangerous for dogs. They contain a toxin called persin that can cause vomiting and diarrhoea.


Xylitol: This sugar substitute is often found in sugar-free gum and candy, but it can cause a rapid drop in blood sugar in dogs, leading to weakness, seizures, and even liver failure. Keep xylitol-containing products out of reach! 


Alcohol: Just like for humans, alcohol can be dangerous for dogs. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, and even alcohol poisoning. Keep your pup away from your cocktail!

Alcohol bar

Caffeine: Coffee, tea, and energy drinks contain caffeine, which can be dangerous for dogs. It can cause restlessness, increased urination, tremors, and even seizures. Stick to water for your furry friend!

Cappuccino and Cafe Latte

Salt: While a little salt is necessary for dogs, too much can be harmful. It can cause dehydration, seizures, and even kidney damage. Keep your pup's salty treats to a minimum.

Spilt salt shaker

Yeast Dough: Raw yeast dough can rise in a dog's stomach, causing discomfort and even obstruction. It can also produce alcohol, which as we learned earlier, is harmful to our furry friends.

Rolling pin and dough

It's important to be aware of the foods that are toxic and make sure to keep them out of reach of your dog. While some of these foods may seem harmless, they can cause a range of health issues, from vomiting and diarrhoea to seizures and kidney failure. As responsible dog owners, it's our job to keep our pups safe and healthy, so let's make sure we provide them with a nutritious diet and plenty of love, care and attention!

Remember, if you suspect that your dog has ingested any of these toxic foods, it's important to contact your veterinarian immediately. Vets can provide guidance on the best course of action and ensure that your pup receives the necessary treatment. With proper care and attention, we can keep our dogs happy and healthy for years to come!

Leave a comment